Tuesday 6 January 2015

DIY Do A Dot Markers

Have you seen the Do A Dot Markers? I have seen activities done on the blogs of some preschool homeschoolers using these Markers. I checked the pricing of these markers and they are sold at SGD39.90 for a set of 6 markers.

I have tried to look for DIY solutions but is not convinced with the alternatives that I had found online mainly due to the concern that lil Joy is only 26 months old and I need something that is more leak proof. This project has been on my mind for more than a year before I finally see the solution at Art Friend, a local art and craft supply shop.

It is the Paint Applicator! Price is about SGD 6.90 plus for a pack of 3. I never knew such things exist and soon realise that Martha Stewart has similar products under her branding. So I grabbed a pack and  tried it out with watercolor paint.



Here is how the paint applicators look. I used a palette knife to coax the paint in, add a dribble of water, replace the top, give it a shake, start dabbing and the paint comes out shortly. It will be a slight mess during the preparation stage but everything is easily washed under a tap before I handed these paint filled applicators to lil Joy.

And yes, these applicators comes with a cap and so far it has been leak proof.


Here is how the sponge part looks like up close. The control of the paint flow has been good.


Here is the end product. We only did some sampling during the first session and I am happy with the results except for the vibrancy of the colors. I will experiment with the different kind of paints and consistency to find something that I like. In the meanwhile, lil Joy is having a blast with dotting on the paper and discovering that she can draw with it. I love the price and the convenience that I can just put the caps of the applicator on for storage and easily do this activity with just some papers.


Sharing this little find of mine and hope it helps some moms. :D

No comments:

Post a Comment