Tuesday 2 September 2014

Watercoloring by the Mommy

Recently, I am reminded of the arts and crafts activities that we have been taught in our school days but with a new light.

Honestly, it frustrated me at times when I rediscover an activity that I knew from my school days which has been classified as boring in my memory. An example is watercoloring. 8 years of primary and secondary school education with arts lessons have left me clueless about this art medium. Every year, our school book list will have watercolors paint set in it and every year, at some point in time we might be asked to bring it to school but was never taught any skill, any knowledge or any examples on how we can use that medium. The teachers' idea of art lesson is giving the command 'Draw this'.. and they relax for that lesson. Seriously, tt is such a bad bad thing to do. I grew up with the impression that watercolor is a weak, difficult and cheap art medium and it is used by boring uncle artists to make those light washed sketches.

Can you imagine how much I wanted to bash myself when i realised that those uncle artists are not boring but very talented? How shocked I am to know that watercolor need not be only in light washes but can be used for the most beautiful blending on your painting. It is such a versatile art medium with so much possibilities that I only got to know recently. This was bed by my interest in watercolor pencils and pastels and my wishes to do blending which seemed to be only achieved by the very expensive Copic Markers.

I am not an artist, my job is at the other spectrum of the creative rainbow. I only like to doodle with little crafts and arts things for joy to create happy things and happy thoughts.

After all these ramblings, I started my watercoloring with a new interest and a purpose on what I want to create. I started with cute drawings and inked them in waterproof inks.



Then I use my watercolors and I am really very very surprised by the final products and still cannot digest the thoughts that it is being done by watercolors.


No comments:

Post a Comment