Friday 8 August 2014

Key holder frame tutorial

Keys finding has been taking up my time.. to the extend that I have guests and delivery men standing at my door for minutes while I look like a fool searching for my keys.

So a key holder becomes a wanted item in my house and I still have tons of painted frames left over so a key holder frame it shall be.

Items needed

1. Photo frame ( I have used an IKEA frame painted in black)
2. Photos or picture of your choice ( I have chosen printed a quote on plain paper)
3. Adhesive or nails to put up your frame
4. Screw hooks
5. An hour or less of your time

And you will need tools like scissor, pencils, pliers and such to screw in the hooks.


 Here is a close up of the quote that I have decided on.


And I trace the size of the photo frame out and cut the paper to size.


Next, I marked the place that I want to place the screws.. I have divided the bottom of the frame to fit the 5 hooks.

Then it's alot of screwing.. this is the first time I am using screw hooks and I tried to screw them in with my hands.. and by the third hook, my fingers are starting to hurt a bit. I realised.. using an awl to push a hole in the frame helps to kick start the installation process easier and using this monkey wrench makes the turning much easier. Only note.. be cautious not to over screw which seems like common sense but for a woodwork newbie like me, I made this mistake which results in cracks on my frame.. I hope this key holder can endure at least a year of key holding with those cracks.


Then I stick my trusty double sided tape to the frame and find the perfect spot for my keys home.



And here it is, my DIY key holder in less than an hour. It and quick and and practical project.




My thoughts on the key holder

It's a quick and fuss free project and for the price of less than $3, I have my own personalised key holder which makes my heart warmer. 

2 comments:

  1. sounds like a good while-baby-naps project!
    and I like your new layout. :)

    - Cayce

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes.. it's a good baby-naptime project and rope in the hub and ask him to handle the hooks to make things easier for yourself. haha

      Delete